I was always interested in natural ways of cleaning, natural toiletry, and natural healing.
So I used to buy these expensive natural laundry soap from the health shops.
There is nothing wrong with the natural laundry soaps that you can buy. They smell divine but they are very expensive, because of the ingredients they use.
Commercial laundry detergents are full of chemicals, and I do not know what it is inside of them. I personally prefer to use the least amount of chemicals possible .
I also tried the laundry balls. And that was okay. They are expensive to buy, but they are supposed to last you for 3 to 4 years. The thing is that deep down I did not believe that the ball was doing anything to my laundry.
I really think, that once I removed the stains from the clothes, and that I do by hand), then I could just do my washing with plain water.
Now , I just prepare my own laundry soap, with a couple of ingredients. It is cheap and it works well. I still need to do treatments of the stains, which I mainly do with the same home-made laundry soap.
The laundry soap can last me for one or two months, depending on how many washings I do.
It is easy to prepare. I always thought that making my own natural cleaning products would be complicated, but it is actually very simple.
I now do my own laundry soap, my own bath soap, my own shampoo (or no poo method), I clean my house with vinegar , water and baking soda, polish shoes with banana peel or olive oil.
I still have some chemicals in my house, but trying to replace them.
Laundry Soap Recipe::
- one laundry soap bar grated, or 1 cup soap flakes
- 1/2 cup of washing soda or baking soda (you can do your own washing soda from baking soda)
- an 11 quart (9 liter) bucket or bigger
That’s it. Some people add borax. I do not.
Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent, Sulfate-Free, THE BEST High Efficiency Soap, Free and Clear, 10x Concentrated
Home Made, Easy and Cheap Laundry Soap: Preparation steps
- Grate the soap. I use a normal grater. You can also buy soap flakes and that will save you time. I use a laundry bar soap. You can choose which one you want to use.
- Pour the grated soap in the bucket. Add the washing soda. Pour 2 liters(half a gallon) boiling water .
- Stir till the soap is dissolved.
- Top bucket up with cold water. Do not do more than 2 gallons or 9 liters. Leave to cool to form a thick jelly.
- If the top of the soap gets too hard , you can use a hand blender to break it up. I rarely have to do this.
- Pour the gel in containers. Do not pour it in bottles . It will become difficult to get the gel out of the bottle. I use a plastic container and I scoop a cup for a full washing load.
I also use this soap to remove stains, before washing the item in the washing machine.
You can also use this soap for washing your hands, washing dishes, or cleaning.
So it is easy, quick and really cheap.
What soap do you use to do your laundry?